Movable Type 6 Beta
Based on the input and feedback from our customers and the Movable Type community worldwide, we are proud to announce the unveiling of Movable Type 6.
As Movable Type has evolved, our main goal has always been to provide a powerful, efficient, and easy to use product to help make managing daily blog and website content a breeze instead of a chore. With Movable Type 6 we worked toward this goal by super charging our API, now making it even easier to manage and manipulate data with the use of a variety of programming languages.
We have also included a new Smart Phone application called “Loupe”. With Loupe, users can confirm and approve pending comments and entries, upload photos and view website and blog access statistics, allowing users to manage their blogs and websites no matter where they are.
Additions to Movable Type 6
New Movable Type 6 functions include:
- New API - Allows the use of language other than Perl to expand on previously uneditable functions.
- Smart Phone Application “Loupe”
- Changes to “website” and “blog” tag, theme and template compatibility
- Dashboard Update - Includes the addition of the “Site Stats” widget, the Message Center, and the “This is you” widget relocation.
- Google Analytics - Easily and quickly view blog and website access statistics.
- Message Center - A new dashboard widget that displays alerts such as system messages, plugin and application updates and security warnings.
- Unpublish Date - Set unpublish dates for entries and webpages.
The beta test of Movable Type 6 has ended. For more information about Movable Type 6 or to purchase a license, visit MovableType.com.
Upgrading to Movable Type 6
If upgrading from an older version of Movable Type, users might notice a change to where their “blog” information is located in Movable Type 6 depending on the pre-upgrade version.
When used in a blog template, website tags can be used to retreive information from the parent website, such as website name, theme and language.
Modified Template Tags
New Config Directive
Change to Movable Type Licensing
Starting with Movable Type 6, registration for the Movable Type Open Source (MTOS) license will end and a new license will be introduced. For more information on these up-coming changes, please refer to the following page.
Beta Site Information
All information on the beta site, as well as any product descriptions, are subject to change without prior notice following the official release date.