With Content Sync, content generated through Movable Type can be sent to an external web server for publication. Movable Type does not need to be installed on this web server. This greatly reduces security risks, such as unauthorized access to Movable Type and the database server.
By syncing content to an external server, the web server where Movable Type Advanced is installed can be used instead as a staging environment or to store content from the Production environment as a warm standby server.
Content Sync also allows blogs and websites to published to multiple servers. Similarly, Content Sync can be used to publish blogs and websites on the same web server that actually originate on separate instances of Movable Type Advanced.
Using Content Sync
- Select either [website] or [blog] from the navigation menu at the top of the page.
- Select [Settings] -> [Sync] from the side menu.
- Click [Create new sync setting] to set new sync setting(s).
The following information is required for an external web server FTP connection. Remember to click the [Save changes] button after entering all necessary information.
You will see what you enter here on Manage Sync Settings
You will see what you enter here on Notification email
Enter the destination server address
Enter the destination server’s FTP server port number
Check SSL in order to connect to the server using SFTP rather than FTP
Enter the username part of the credentials for the FTP server connection
Enter the password part of the credentials for the FTP server connection
Enter the top-level directory to be selected when the FTP server connection is established
Content can be scheduled to be synchronized automatically at a pre-set date and time.
Enter the day and time to synchronize content with the external server
Sync all files
Check [Sync all files] to sync not only dfferences but all files
Recipient for Notification
Enter the email address to be notified when the synchronization is completed
Receive Error Notification Only
If checked, a notification email will only be sent if the synchronization attempt fails
If the [Register immediate sync job] option is used, content will be synchronized next time run-periodic-tasks run. One or more valid server locations must be registered in order to successfully use this option.
- Register a destination and save
- Click the [Register immediate sync job] button
- Cintent Sync is one-way sync. It doesn’t only delete file(s) which exist only in destination, but also doesn’t sync the file(s) to the destination server.
- Content created using Dynamic Publishing or plugins that create dynamic content cannot be synchronized to other servers in this fashion.
- Comments and trackbacks received will not be synchronized to the destination server.
- Content in the [mt-static] directory will not be synchronized to the destination server.