Movable Type 5.0 Release Candidate 2 is now available.
Here’s the highlights…
- A lot of work to get the dynamic publishing in sync with the static publishing.
- Updates to the Professional blog templates
- Unbundling of Motion and Action Streams
- The Entry/Page “previous” and “next” container tags now account for entries/pages with the same date-time, rather than skipping them.
And many more bug fixes.
Release Notes for MT5 RC2
- Movable Type 5.0 RC2 Release Notes
Warning! - This software is not recommended for any production environment.
- Movable Type 5.0 Pro Betas (available in English, Japanese, German, Spanish, Dutch and French.)
Check out the Pre-Release Software License Agreement for more details about using the software.
Please report bugs and submit feature requests you find.
Many MT4 plugins will work with MT5 (or only need minor updates) as much of the core functionality in MT5 hasn’t changed dramatically.
Plugins which do not work correctly in MT5 due to the following reasons:
The most common reasons for plugins not working in MT5:
- Plugin relies on a transformers (code which searches for other code to replace) may be broken because of changes the application templates.
- YAML may be improperly formatted. YAML::Tiny has been replaced by the more strict YAML::Syck perl module.
- Characters may be more garbled if text is not encoded using UTF-8. MT5 is more strictly using UTF-8.
- Bundled CPAN modules have been updated. If plugin relies upon any bundled versions of these modules, plugin should be updated to be compatible with the bundled version.
- The method of adding links into the UI hasn’t changed, but the UI has changed. Links placed into the UI by the plugin will have to be updated.
- PHP4 has been deprecated in exchange for PHP5. All PHP code must be compatible with PHP5 or plugin functionality may not work when publishing dynamically.
- Database accessor has changed to use Active Record from EZSQL, thus PHP database queries must be compatible with Active Record or must use the MT API.
- Though plugins written in older “.pl” style (instead of YAML style) are supported in MT5, their “age” may generally be a source of issues.
One of the developers in Japan tested many of the most popular plugins for MT5 compatibility. See his results here:
- http://www.zelazny.mydns.jp/archives/001617.php (translate to English)
- http://www.zelazny.mydns.jp/archives/001627.php (translate to English)
New Template Tags in MT5
The Japanese documentation site has all tags marked “New in MT5”. We’ll be updating the English template tag docs to include these new tags.
MT5 Release Schedule
The release schedule has been updated, here’s the current plan:
- MT5.0 RC2 - released today.
- MT5.0 RC3 - to be released this Friday, November 20. Will include a few remaining bugs and localization of European language versions.
- MT5.0 - first week of December (November 26th in Japan) should all go according to plan.
Found a Bug?
- To avoid duplication of efforts, search existing bugs (from the feedback page) before submitting a new bug.
- Submit a bug in the Greyhound (MT5) Beta
Have a Question?
Ask questions about this release or Movable Type 5 in general in one of these places: