Since then, all of you have sent hundreds upon hundreds of emails to us giving us your feedback, reporting bugs, and most importantly sharing your passion and insight about how blogging should work. Now's your chance to get a good sense of how our community's efforts have created something truly special.
- We incorporated over three dozen new themes built right into Movable Type because you told us how important a good collection of professional designs is.
- We bundled podcasting support into the core application and integrated it with MT4's smart media library, to let you easily create podcasts, videocasts, or even photocasts from the content you upload.
- You told us you loved the WYSIWYG editor but wanted it to be even more meticulous about the HTML it outputs, to make sure it works correctly with your markup. Done.
- We iterated through a number of significant changes to the primary navigation of the application, refining each version based directly on user feedback and testing.
- We toiled over every pixel on the screen, revisiting each of Movable Type's icons to make them clearer and more intuitive.
- New in this release is API support that makes Movable Type 100% compatible with Nokia's LifeBlog application, allowing many users to blog directly from a mobile phone - without the need of an intermediary.
- And of course we fixed hundreds of bugs, many of which we probably couldn't have found without the help of our beta testers. More often than not, you went the extra mile to collect data for us, help us in reproducing the bug and then verifying the fixes we provided. Thanks!
And that's why we feel confident that we can release the first Movable Type 4.0 Release Candidate. Of course, it's inevitably not going to be perfect, but we think the bugs that remain will be minor or cosmetic.
With the release of MT4 RC1 we begin the final stages of our beta process as we prepare for what we hope to be an imminent release. Our QA team has officially begun final regression testing, browser compatibility testing, and final bug verification of the application, and we have begun working closely with a number of customers who will be moving their production systems over the new version of Movable Type in coming days.
So for those of you who have been waiting for the right release before you start using Movable Type 4.0 for "real": This is it. Wait no longer. We can't wait to hear what you think. Get started by downloading MT4 for free now.
Update: Following reports from users that an issue was found in the upgrade process in MT4.0 RC1, we have decided to release an update RC1b which contains a fix for this issue. We have also published an MT4.0 Upgrade Guide to help users prepare existing Movable Type installations for their move to the new version.