When we first started the development process for Movable Type 4 we
identified each of the primary users of Movable Type and profiled each
of them to better understand how these authors, publishers, designers
and developers all use Movable Type during the course of their day. We
then started analyzing how the application could be more tailored to
their individual needs.
One of the users we took special notice of was the administrator. Whether that person is a dedicated IT professional with little interest in blogging, or whether the author, publisher, designer, developer and administrator are all the same person, we wanted to make the process of managing, monitoring and maintaining the application easier then ever before.
So, in our on-going series of looking at all the new features we are pouring into Movable Type we look at the sometimes unglamorous list of administrative features new to MT4.
- A dramatically improved installation experience
- Cross-blog management of entries, authors, comments, and community
- Customizable, filterable RSS feeds for every management and listing screen in the application
- Built-in diagnostic tools for system configuration information and troubleshooting
- Blog cloning -- with one click, you can create a new blog that inherits the styles, settings, templates, and configuration of any blog in your system
- Full Backup and Restore -- securely archives all your entries, comments, images, files, settings, and templates for safekeeping
- Better import and export, with support for importing content all previous versions of Movable Type as well as other popular blogging platforms