Movable Type 4.2: Should I Upgrade?
The benefits to upgrading to Movable Type 4.2 are clear:
- Performance - Movable Type 4.2 is up to 100% faster for some common tasks like search. Plus, much of the performance gain that can be had requires no template changes at. Just upgrade and zoom.
- Stability - Movable Type 4.2 consumes 50% less memory and is more stable in environments like mod_perl and Fast CGI.
- Security - Movable Type 4.2 is the most secure release in its history following an arduous line-by-line code audit and improved testing and coding practices.
- Great New Features - Movable Type 4.2 comes packed with important new features like comment threading, simple templates, template module caching, server side includes, redesigned design area, improved search, optimized navigation and menus, live template previews, publishing profiles, and more.
- Integrated Comment Spam Solution - Movable Type 4.2 comes prepackaged with support for TypePad AntiSpam - the world’s leading open source AntiSpam service.
Despite the benefits, users are always most concerned with the disruption an upgrade can cause for their web site. We take this very seriously which is why we have worked hard internally and with the community on ensuring that:
Upgrades should not break your site
Of course, every install is different as so many people rely on different plugins and system configurations. However, we have tested extensively and verified that across a variety of supported configurations that upgrading alone from MT 4.0, MT 4.1 as well as Movable Type Community Solution resulted in no publishing or application errors.