Application Development in Movable Type
Movable Type is not just a blogging platform, it is an application development environment. It’s APIs allow developers to build large scale publishing oriented applications with relative ease. Much of the traditional overhead for creating these types of application is absorbed by the Movable Type registry and by a robust data abstraction layer.
In fact many of the techniques described in this section are techniques you have already learned in Hacking Movable Type. If you have not read that guide, or are unfamiliar with the Movable Type registry and how to create a basic plugin, it is recommended that you first familiarize yourself with the basics of developing a plugin on Movable Type. If on the other hand you are ready to take your knowledge of the basics to the next level, then now is the time we bring all of your previously learned skills and knowledge of Movable Type’s interfaces together to allow you to build a Movable Type powered application.
Here are some of the topics we will cover as we build our first Movable Type application:
- What makes something a Movable Type application?
- How to create and add a new screen in the application
- How to easily add links to these newly created screens inside the application
- How to augment Movable Type’s main navigation with additional menu items
- How to create dialogs and wizards
- How to customize the look and feel of Movable Type’s administrative interface